As the curtains begin to draw shut on 2017 and we look forward to the promise of a new year, I felt it best to get resolution-picking...
In the past, this selection process typically happens champers in hand and impulsively, minutes before the countdown clad in a sparkly number and broken high heels... "I'm going to go to the gym EVERY day..." yeah, that totally happened. Or, "I'm going to stop drinking ALL year", again...I've 'another round?'-ed more times than I've had roast dinners this year. Unrealistic.
Suffice to say, this time I've decided to take resolutions seriously, to be the best I can possibly. The new year allows for us to mentally compartmentalise fresh starts from old news - it's a chance to start a new for some and although the differentiation of 11.59 and 00.00 doesn't see us physically change, I believe, mentally, our outlooks are altered.
So instead of searching online for resolutions, I've decided upon a more straightforward method - to simply ask myself what I really want to change and improve on. Here's my list of fifty resolutions that I think can be applied to most, for a happier and healthier 2018...
* In no particular order...
1. Have courage and be kind - *Cinderella's mum knew the score.
2. Make more time for my family - immediate and otherwise.
3. Keep my personal life (good or bad) seperate from my work.
4. A stronger focus on my health
5. Curb my cigarette desires when drinking
6. Turn my phone off more (or airplane mode)
7. Maintain good manners *please and thank you never do you harm*
8. Become a culinary goddess. *I think this is my top NY resolution*
9. Walk to work more. (If it's do-able on the distance front, why not?!)
10. Save money... *perhaps my trickiest resolution.
11. Wake up early every day. Sunday's are for lie-ins.
12. Life my life how I want to... *drop the tendency to be a sheep and follow "the norm", as long as it's not hurting anyone.
13. Smile...ALOT. * I already do, but some more won't hurt?!
14. Go to the gym on the days I can, Netflix can wait for after.
15. Don't quit drink, but drink less. *if my friends are reading this, they are probably shaking their heads mouthing "she'll never do it"!
16. Incense sticks, candles and aroma diffusers - * I've picked this up more lately, they really do relax you.
17. Have more bubble baths.
18. Plan my holidays - *gone are the days of spontaneous trips to Venice that end up costing me an arm and a leg due to lack of forward thinking!
19. Stop buying the whole bar a round of drinks after I've had a few too many *I think I'm a millionaire-ess after a vodka, soda, lime*
20. Sleep more.
21. Drink more water.
22. Say no to things I really just do not want to do *it's better this way than letting someone down further down the line*
23. Read more self-improvement books * Sarah Knight is a genius...*
24. Back up my laptop/phone more often
25. Continue French Lessons... *sorry old tutor, I was busy OK?*
26. Curb my tendency to procrastinate *stares at computer screen for 52 minutes...*
27. Avoid dsitractions *Facebook memes and Netflix you really are the bane of my life*
28. Enjoy the little things.
29. Be more charismatic
30. Become more confident when treated unjustly.
31. Maintain a positive attitude *glass half full and all that...*
32. Strengthen my relationships
33. Call far-away-friends more often.
35. Visit my brother in Australia *Christmas 2018*
36. Two coffee's a day...three is a little excessive in the space of two hours.
37. Improve my posture
38. Upgrade my phone *no more death by Instagram stories - iPhone 6, you're pathetic*
39. Consult my diary every single day.
40. Learn the names of machines at the gym... *instead of: where's that one that's good for the legs?!*
41. Attend my favourite exercise class more... *again, sorry I was busy?!*
42. Start calling more than texting.. *texting is quite time consuming, right?*
43. Refrain from scrolling through insta every time I have a spare second.
44. Check the news more. *That's coming from someone currently studying a Master's in...Journalism, yep*
45. Be more grateful
46. Be thankful for what I do have, not what I don't.
47. Keep Linkedin and personal portfolio up to date
48. Graduate with a Master's degree... *how hard can it be, right?*
49. Use my phone less as an alarm.
50. Live life. *Simple*
Happy 2018 everyone...